by Ashley Campbell
We here at Downeast Insurance are your friends, family and neighbors. During this time of need, know that you can rely on us to help you through. Our Licensed Insurance Agents are working each day, ready to guide you to financial assistance options with our teammates at Downeast Credit Union, quoting your insurance policies to see if we can save you money, and suggesting extensions and refunds on existing insurance policies through our partnered Carriers.
Because delivery services are so important during this time, many Carriers are extending auto insurance coverage for personal delivery drivers. See the list of our insurance Carriers below who are offering relief to customers during COVID-19, as well as special coverages or exclusions offered during this time:
• 15% refunds for April and May premiums have been applied as a single reduction to personal auto policies. For policies paid in full, a refund check will be mailed.
• Providing personal auto coverage to insureds who are using their vehicles to deliver food or medicine
• Comprehensive and collision deductibles are being waived for any healthcare worker involved in an accident while driving to and from work, or in the line of duty
• Number of days for car rental coverage has been extended if there is a delay in the repair of an insured’s vehicle
• The limit for additional living expenses has been extended for homeowners who are unable to live in their homes following a loss and require temporary accommodations
• 15% of premiums for April and May will be returned to insureds as a one-time credit issued on the policy. If the policy is paid-in-full, a refund check will be sent in the mail.
• Flexible payment arrangements or adjustments to a policy can be set up for those facing financial hardship during the COVID-19 pandemic by calling Dairyland at 1-800-334-0090
• Grace periods through May 15, 2020 upon request
• Suspending enforcement of exclusions for food delivery through May 15, 2020 countrywide; all other deliveries continue to be excluded
• 15% credit for April & May premiums to future billing cycles
• Effective Immediately, MetLife Auto & Home will NOT cancel any policy for non-payment through July 1. 2020. Payments should continue to be made as due, if possible. If partial payment can be made, a partial payment should be applied.
• Extension of Personal Auto Delivery Coverage – This coverage is already provided for those making deliveries for medicine or food. Through May 1, 2020, we will be extending this coverage to all vehicles at no additional charge while customers are making deliveries in response to the crisis.
• Expanded Identity Protection – This coverage is available to our insureds at no cost. Because of the increased risk of cyber-attacks as a result of this pandemic, we are extending the cyber security coverage to immediate family members through August 2020.
Ohio Mutual Insurance Group
• 25% credit to personal auto policies will be applied to a period of up to 11 weeks (beginning March 16th, and for the months of April & May). These credits will automatically be applied to the first invoice issued after June 1st. For any policy that is paid in full, a check will be mailed.
• Suspending all cancellations due to non-payment of premium for an indefinite time period. Bills will continue to be printed and mailed, but cancellation notices will not be issued.
• Late fees are waived
• These accommodations are not a waiver of premium due – deferred charges will eventually become due. In addition, policies with deferred payments will still be renewed and processed as normal, even if full payment has not been received for current term.
• 15% refund check will be mailed to insureds for April and May premiums for policies in force as of April 30, 2020
• Automatic grace period has been extended through May 31, 2020 to all policies in all states of operation – on May 31st a pending cancellation notice will be sent out to alert insureds the amount of premium due along with a new due date
• Late fees are waived
• Refunds of $20 per vehicle on personal auto policies are being issued. A check will be mailed directly to insureds – no action is needed.
• Payment flexibility to insureds with a financial hardship who call 1-800-899-1116, option 2
• Personal auto coverage has been broadened to include coverage for deliveries of food, medicine, or other services.
• Comprehensive and Collision deductible waived for any health care worker involved in an accident while commuting to or from work, or in the line of duty
• 20% of April and May 2020 premiums will be returned to insureds as a credit to the policy in May and June. If policy is paid in full, a refund check will be issued and mailed.
• Suspended cancellation or non-renewal for non-payment through May 15, 2020.
• Providing personal auto coverage/motorcycle coverage for insureds who are using their personal vehicles/motorcycles for food and medicine delivery through May 15, 2020
• 15% refund on two months of auto premiums based on premium amount as of April 7, 2020. Refunds will be issued in the manner of the most recent payment, or by check.
• Automatically stopped charging late fees, and have temporarily stopped cancellations on personal auto & home policies due to non-payment from March 23, 2020 – June 1, 2020
• Extending payment due dates as needed
• Expanding all personal auto policies to cover insureds using their personal vehicles to deliver food, medicine, medical supplies, or medical equipment for a commercial purpose. Does not apply to drivers completing deliveries for a transportation network or online only delivery platforms. This is in effect for all personal auto policies in all states for losses occurring from March 16, 2020 to May 22, 2020 and reported by July 1, 2020 – some limitations may apply.
• 15% credit for April and May premiums
• Billing relief automatically provided for all insureds in the U.S., including suspending cancellation and nonrenewal of coverage due to nonpayment through May 15, 2020 (no interest, late fees or penalties will be charged)
• Providing auto coverage for insureds who are using their personal vehicles for food, grocery, pharmacy, and medical supply deliveries
• Adjusting claim inspection process to rely more on state-of-the-art digital and virtual tools
Please call the Downeast Insurance office if we can help you with any of the relief options listed above. In addition, if you have not enrolled in our free Online Portal or DEI 24/7 Mobile App (Android) (Apple in App Store), you may want to consider these convenient resources to access your policies, download insurance cards, and submit photos in the event of a claim. Call our Agents to get signed up for these free tools. We are open regular business hours and can be reached at 866.897.1365 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wishing you well,
Operations Specialist, Topsham, Maine
For our members’ convenience, links are available in this website to allow quick access to other sites that may be of interest. Clicking on a third party link will take you out of Downeast Credit Union’s website to an alternative website not operated by DECU. The Credit Union is not responsible for the content of the third party website and does not represent either the third party website or the member if you enter into a transaction. Privacy and security policies of the website to which you are linking may differ from those practiced by DECU.