Your phone rings. You recognize the number, but when you pick up, it’s someone else. What’s the deal?
We have been notified that scammers are using fake caller ID information to trick you into thinking they are someone local, someone you trust – maybe a government agency or police department, or a company you do business with – even Downeast Credit Union.
The practice is called caller ID spoofing and scammers don’t care whose phone number they use.
We urge you: don’t rely on caller ID to verify who’s calling! It can be nearly impossible to tell whether the caller ID information is real.
Here are a few tips for handling these calls:
– If you get a strange call from someone pretending to be from Downeast Credit Union or other agency, hang up.
* If you want to check it out, visit the company’s official website for contact information.
* Downeast Credit Union employees WILL NEVER call out of the blue to ask for account information or your online banking login.
– Don’t give out — or confirm — your personal or financial information to someone who calls.
– Don’t wire money or send money using a reloadable card. In fact, never pay someone who calls out of the blue, even if the name or number on the caller ID looks legit.
– Feeling pressured to act immediately? Hang up. That’s a sure sign of a scam.
Want more tips for avoiding spoofing and phishing scams? Check out Four Ways To Protect Yourself From Phishing.
If you think you may have fallen victim, please call Downeast Credit Union immediately at 800-427-1223.
For our members’ convenience, links are available in this website to allow quick access to other sites that may be of interest. Clicking on a third party link will take you out of Downeast Credit Union’s website to an alternative website not operated by DECU. The Credit Union is not responsible for the content of the third party website and does not represent either the third party website or the member if you enter into a transaction. Privacy and security policies of the website to which you are linking may differ from those practiced by DECU.